Add a drizzle of our Tamarind Chutney to the inside or use it on top afterwards to take your cheese toasties to the next level of goodness.
- 2 medium–thick slices bread, buttered on one side
- ½–1 tbsp of Pico’s Tamarind Chutney
- For the filling
- 1 tbsp full-fat Greek yoghurt
- 1 tbsp finely chopped chives or ½ finely chopped spring onion
- 25g coarsely grated cheddar (or another hard cheese, such as emmental, Gruyère, Red Leicester or a mixture)
- To make the filling, mix the yoghurt with the chives or spring onion. Stir in the grated cheese.
- Place the bread slices on a chopping board, buttered-side down. Spread one with chutney and top the other with the cheese filling. Lay the ham and cornichon on top, if using. Put the chutney-spread piece of bread on top of the cheesy piece, buttered-side up.
- Heat a large frying pan over a medium heat. Put the sandwich in the pan and fry for 3 minutes on one side, pressing down lightly with a spatula every so often, or until the bread is golden brown. Carefully turn over, using your spatula and another flattish implement, such as a palette knife or the back of a wooden spoon. Fry for a further 2 minutes or until crisp and golden.
- Cut the sandwich in half and serve with a green salad.
Photo credit: https://sweetcsdesigns.com/wine-grilled-cheese/